If you make a purchase through an affiliate link, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Tonight’s easy dinner recipe is tasty and easy slow cooker chicken fajitas.
This chicken fajitas recipe a family favorite that’s low stress for me to prepare but still healthy enough that I don’t feel like I’m letting my family down. Because there are just some days where I need a break from cooking in the evenings! I also like that using the Crock-Pot means more free time in the evening and fewer dishes.
I also love this chicken dump meal because it only takes three ingredients in the slow cooker. Even better, it doubles as a freezer meal. While cooking one meal at night, just put a second meal’s worth of ingredients in a bag and freeze for later! I’m a huge fan of freezer meal prep and like to keep my deep freeze stocked.
Here are some more details on this great Crock-Pot chicken fajitas recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Ingredients
The beauty of these Crock-Pot fajitas is they only require three ingredients in the slow cooker. And you don’t have to chop anything! You’ll want to get these ingredients together:
- 1 package fajita seasoning
- 1.5-2 lbs of chicken breasts or tenderloins (you can use any type of chicken, really, as long as it doesn’t have a bone.)
- 1 bag of 3 frozen peppers & onion blend (alternatively, you can chop your own peppers and onions if you prefer fresh. I’m too tired to do that!)
When serving after the cooking time, you’ll want to make sure you have tortillas on hand as well as any fajita toppings you’d like such as cheese, sour cream, or avocado.
How to make slow cooker chicken fajitas
Dump fajita seasoning, one bag of frozen peppers and onions, and 1.5-2lbs of chicken into the Crock-Pot. I use chicken tenderloins because I have a weird fear of the fat on chicken breasts and can’t stand having to cut it off. Chicken tenderloins also cook faster than chicken breasts, so depending which you use, you might have to adjust your cook time.
After this, all you have to do is mix it all up, put the top on the Crock-Pot, and leave! If you’re not feeling like scrubbing the slow cooker later in the evening, consider using disposable liners.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees. On high, mine is usually done within 4 or so hours.
Once cooked, shred the chicken with a fork.
Scoop out fajita mixture with a slotted spoon (because it gets nice and juicy)! Then, serve on tortillas with desired toppings such as sour cream, cheese, avocado, and jalapeno.
Easy, peasy for this tired mom! And it makes leftovers for tomorrow also. That’s another win.
Chicken Fajitas: Freezer Meal Instructions
If you’re wanting this to double as a freezer meal, all you have to do is put all three ingredients in a gallon Ziploc plastic bag before cooking, and then freeze. Baggy rack holders are super helpful when holding the bags up.
The bags will last for at least 3 months in the freezer.
When it’s time to cook, just thaw the bag overnight and pop in the Crock-Pot the next morning! Cook for the same amount of time as you would the freshly prepared chicken fajitas ingredients.
If you’re new to freezer cooking and want some pointers, this recipe is a part of my Easy 20 Meals Freezer Prep post.
Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pkg (1.27 oz) fajita seasoning
- 1 pkg (12 oz) frozen 3 peppers & onion blend
- 1.5-2 lb chicken
- 8 Tortillas
- Desired toppings such as: sour cream, cheese, avocado, and jalapenos
- In the crockpot, dump fajita seasoning, frozen peppers and onions, and chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (3-4 hours on high) or until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken with a fork.
- Scoop out fajita mixture with a slotted spoon (because it gets nice and juicy!) and serve on tortillas with desired toppings such as sour cream, cheese, avocado, and jalapeno.